Medical Receptionist in Dallas, TX
FLSA Class: Non exempt
Department: Administrative Support
Job Category: Administration
Reports to: Practice Manager
Summary Description: The Medical Front Office Receptionist greets patients and manages flow of visitors into the office while maintaining efficiency in a fast-paced environment and providing quality customer service to all patients.
Essential Functions: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Greets and check-in patients.
- Schedules and reschedules appointments.
- Screens calls with extensive phone volume, possibly 500 calls per day.
- Notifies medical staff of patients’ arrival.
- Assists patients and family with instructions, directions, and information.
- Directs phone calls and/or leaves messages for very busy medical staff in EMR system.
- Obtain sufficient information for billing: photo id, insurance card, and other medically necessary information to file claims.
- Collects on patient balances and receives co-pays.
- Attends required meetings and participates in training programs as required.
- Understands and adheres to HIPAA policies, procedures and regulations to ensure and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Assists with miscellaneous office duties as needed.
- High School diploma or equivalency required.
- At least 1 year Electronic Medical Record/Patient Scheduling systems experience.
- One year of medical reception experience.
- Understanding of insurance verification and co-pays surgery scheduling and referral coordination required.
- Knowledge of various medical insurance plans; including co-insurance, deductibles, and out-of-pocket.
- Ability to solve problems possesses sound and accurate judgment.
- Ability to set priorities and handle demanding schedules.
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Scheduling systems.
- Microsoft Office suite
Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Communications: Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally. Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form. Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Keeps others adequately informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Customer Service: Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Dependability: Responds to requests for service and assistance. Follows instructions, responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions. Commits to doing the best job possible. Keeps commitments. Meets attendance and punctuality.
- Planning & Organization: Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources. Integrates changes smoothly. Sets goals and objectives. Works in an organized manner.
- Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Displays commitment to excellence. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Applies feedback to improve performance. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Use of Technology: Adapts to new technologies, Demonstrates required skills, Keeps technical skills up to date, Troubleshoots technological problems, Uses technology to increase productivity.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office and/or clinical environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Work is typically indoors. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel: No travel is expected for this position.
Other Duties: This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, standards or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.