Medical Assistant in Little Elm, TX
FLSA Class: Non exempt
Department: Client Relations
Job Category: Technical
Reports to: Practice Manager
Summary Description: Medical Assistants are responsible for assisting physicians with patient care, clerical, environmental and organizational tasks.
Essential Functions: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Checking schedules and organizing patient flow.
- Accompanying patients to exam/procedure room.
- Assisting patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.
- Collecting patient history.
- Performing screenings per provider guidelines.
- Assisting physicians/nurses with various procedures; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families.
- Answering calls and providing pertinent information.
- Setting up instruments and equipment according to protocol.
- Cleaning exam/procedure rooms, instruments and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control.
- Restocking exam/procedure rooms.
- Sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisors quickly.
- Prescription refills.
- Front desk duties to include: greeting and checking in patients; scheduling appointments; answering phones and screening and directing calls; obtaining sufficient information for billing; verifying insurance; referral coordination; and collecting on patients balances and receiving co-pays.
- Utilizes and enters data in to EMR systems.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection control policies and protocols.
- Attend required meetings and participates in training programs as required.
- Understand and adhere to HIPAA policies, procedures and regulations to ensure and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Education: High School diploma or equivalence required. Medical Assisting diploma required.
Licenses & Certification:
- Current Medical Assistant certification preferred.
- Maintain current BLS, CPR, First Aid or other certifications required of position.
- Experience will be based on clinic location. Internal Medicine/Family Practice or other specialty experience may be required depending upon clinic.
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems experience preferred. E-Clinical Works a plus.
- Strong computer skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses. Pursues training and development opportunities. Seeks feedback to improve performance, Shares expertise with others. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Customer Service - Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Planning & Organization - Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources. Integrates changes smoothly. Sets goals and objectives. Works in an organized manner.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Use of Technology - Adapts to new technologies. Demonstrates required skills. Keeps technical skills up to date. Troubleshoots technological problems. Uses technology to increase productivity.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Work is typically indoors. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing
the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Other Duties: This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, standards or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.