EMR Specialist in Dallas, TX
FLSA Class: Exempt
Job Category: Technical
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Summary Description: The EMR Specialist is responsible for all EMRs utilized by the physician client practices and our corporate operations team. Serves as the EMR subject matter expert and ensures the ongoing development, maintenance, and implementation of EMR systems to meet the goals of the organization and our clients. Provides a high-level of customer service to establish and enhance positive relationships with clients, co-workers, vendors, and others.
Essential Functions: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintaining all practice EMRs in accordance with corporate policies and procedures.
- Evaluating new practices per established guidelines. Assist in onboarding new practices to the EMR application.
- Evaluating EMR training needs of clients and staff, developing training documentation and coordinating and/or delivering training.
- Evaluating the EMR performance of staff.
- Keeping current with new features and enhancements and training staff accordingly.
- Analyzing and implementing policies and procedures governing all electronic data entry through the physician practices.
- Implementing, training and monitoring the Meaningful Use guidelines.
- Working with operations staff on a regular basis to develop better workflows.
- Working closely with operations team to manage expectations and service delivery for client accounts.
- Assisting and training others in configuring assigned practice charts to satisfy the needs of client facilities.
- Coordinating internal and external teams to complete data migration, content development, interfaces, enrollment and billing configuration work streams.
- Developing and supporting all facets of content within an EMR/PMS system with a heavy focus on E-Clinical Works (ECW).
- Provide recommendations on how to improve EMR/PMS documentation and workflows.
- Troubleshoot all aspects of the EMR including managing ticket submissions with EMR vendor.
- Maintains productive working relationships with both internal and external customers and vendors.
- Maintains contact with primary and secondary vendor technical and functional personnel regarding application capabilities and tasks regarding implementation, enhancement and support.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues related to internal IT. Coordinates with third- party vendors as needed.
- Travels to client sites. Attends client meetings.
- Understands and adheres to HIPAA policies, procedures and regulations to ensure and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science, programming, information systems or equivalent experience preferred. Minimum Technical School, Associate Degree or equivalent experience.
- Expert knowledge or Super-User experience of EMR software systems – E-Clinical Works experience required (minimum two years).
- Minimum of two years of healthcare information system experience.
- Knowledge of physician office business practices, clinical workflows, concepts and terminology sufficient to implement and support EMR applications.
- Effectively manage projects, deadlines, customers (internal and external), and schedules.
- Proficiency in general information technology/software concepts, general office information/technology systems and medical billing systems.
- Knowledge of clinic policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of health information management field.
- Drives throughout designated area utilizing personal transportation.
- Reliable transportation. Valid Texas Driver’s License, automobile liability insurance, and driving record acceptable to company.
- EMR system – E-Clinical Works required
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Internet software
- Telephone, fax, scanners, printers and other office equipment
Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses. Pursues training and development opportunities. Seeks feedback to improve performance, Shares expertise with others. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Customer Service - Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Planning & Organization - Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources. Integrates changes smoothly. Sets goals and objectives. Works in an organized manner.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Use of Technology - Adapts to new technologies. Demonstrates required skills. Keeps technical skills up to date. Troubleshoots technological problems. Uses technology to increase productivity.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Work is typically indoors. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel: Regular travel is expected of this position. Required to drive throughout designated area utilizing personal vehicle. Reliable transportation required.
Other Duties: This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, standards or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.