Cardiovascular Dietician in Dallas, TX
FLSA Class: Non exempt
Department: Client Relations
Job Category: Professional
Reports to: Practice Manager/Operations Manager
Summary Description: The Cardiovascular Dietician is responsible for creating a program of engagement and accountability for cardiac patients by assisting physicians with evaluating patients’ nutritional needs and providing nutritional counseling and advice to patients.
Essential Functions: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Evaluating a patient’s current nutritional status, barriers to diet control and ongoing nutritional needs.
- Engage cardiac patients in an on-line community.
- Providing nutritional counseling and nutritional advice to patients who want to lose weight or achieve other nutrition-related goals.
- Clarifying information to patients and explaining the effects of nutrients on overall cardiovascular health condition.
- Creating a clinical nutritional treatment plan for patients based on physician direction and supervision.
- Setting clear objectives and providing support to patients to help them in their progress.
- Evaluating outcomes of nutritional intervention.
- Coordinating and completing outreach to referring physicians with a goal of growing the practice’s nutrition program.
- Creating and developing written content to assist with patient education.
- Working with marketing team to develop avenues to market services to community, physicians and patients.
- Educating patients and the public on nutrition issues.
- Understands low carbohydrate diets and heart-healthy programs.
- Consulting with a team of healthcare practitioners on nutritional management for a patient.
- Managing patient consultation calendar.
- Answering and returning calls to patients and providing pertinent information.
- Developing patient registry through Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system.
- Tracking and measuring patient data for associate’s patients in registry.
- Sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisors quickly.
- Utilizes and enters data in to EMR systems.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection control policies and protocols.
- Attend required meetings and participates in training programs as required.
- Understand and adhere to HIPAA policies, procedures and regulations to ensure and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Travels between office locations on a weekly basis.
Education: Bachelors of Science degree from an accredited program in nutritional science or dietetics.
Licenses & Certification:
- Licensed or certified as a Dietician by the State of Texas.
- Maintain current BLS, CPR, First Aid or other certifications preferred.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License, automobile liability insurance, and driving record acceptable to company.
- 2+ years’ experience as a professional Dietician.
- Experience billing insurance for dietary services, particularly Medicare.
- In-depth knowledge of nutritional model.
- Understanding of diabetic nutrition a plus.
- Active listener skilled in suggesting personalized solutions.
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills.
- Ability to create engaging and easy-to-understand content for patients. Strong writing, grammar and proofreading abilities with good attention to detail.
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems and Microsoft Office experience required.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses. Pursues training and development opportunities. Seeks feedback to improve performance, Shares expertise with others. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Customer Service - Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Planning & Organization - Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources. Integrates changes smoothly. Sets goals and objectives. Works in an organized manner.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Use of Technology - Adapts to new technologies. Demonstrates required skills. Keeps technical skills up to date. Troubleshoots technological problems. Uses technology to increase productivity.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Work is typically indoors. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing
the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Travel: Required to drive between office locations utilizing personal vehicle. Reliable transportation required.
Other Duties: This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, standards or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.