Surgery Scheduler - Noble
FLSA Class: Non exempt
Job Category: Administration
Reports to: Practice Manager/Administrator
Summary Description: Schedules office and hospital based procedures/surgeries per provider’s orders, including pre‐ and post‐surgery care and diagnostic testing. Communicates effectively and empathetically with patients, providing excellent customer service to all constituents. Responsible for collecting patient payments and completing timely insurance authorization.
Essential Functions: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Schedules providers at multiple hospitals and surgery facilities. Interfaces with appropriate
hospital and office staff to ensure a cohesive working relationship in providing patient care
- Schedules and verifies surgery appointments. Ensures patients have proper medical clearance
and pre‐surgical testing as needed. Completes pre‐procedure phone calls and confirms
appointment times with patients.
- Provides accurate, detailed information to patients regarding test preparations, time of patient’s
scheduled arrival, and any other directional information needed; takes appropriate and timely
action in responding empathetically to questions from patients.
- Reviews discharge instructions with patients and ensures proper follow‐up appointments are
scheduled at the time the procedure is scheduled.
- Completes accurate documentation of informed consent with patients for procedures and
surgeries as needed.
- Works closely with scheduling physicians and physician managers to administer the daily
schedules. Notifies necessary physicians, operating room personnel and other scheduling staff
of any cancellations or added cases.
- Conducts insurance verification and ensures insurance verification has taken place by surgery
facility. Obtains and enters authorizations for surgical procedures in electronic system.
- Contacts patients to explain insurance coverage including co‐pays, deductibles, and out‐of‐
pocket maximums. Ensures collection of 50% deposit for surgeries at the time of scheduling.
- Attends required meetings and participates in training programs as required.
- Understands and adheres to HIPAA policies, procedures and regulations to ensure and maintain
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Provides back‐up on the following as needed: answer phones, schedule office visits, collect co‐
pays/deductibles, and assist with patient check‐out.
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Associates degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ surgery scheduling experience.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, including verbal and written communication and
interpersonal skills with patients, staff and other healthcare professionals.
- Must possess a strong knowledge and understanding of health care planning and/or process
management and operations experience.
- Understanding of insurance verification and copays required. Knowledge of various medical
insurance plans including co‐insurance, deductibles, and out‐of‐pocket.
- Must have the capability to work under minimal supervision and maintain detailed organization
in a fast paced, high volume environment.
- Excellent problem‐solving skills, attention to detail, and high level of accuracy.
- Ability to handle high volume and stressful situation in a calm and professional manner.
- Has the ability to set priorities and work independently.
- Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook.
- Electronic Medical Records/Patient Scheduling systems.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Communications: Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally. Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form. Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Keeps others adequately informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Customer Service: Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Dependability: Responds to requests for service and assistance. Follows instructions, responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions. Commits to doing the best job possible. Keeps commitments. Meets attendance and punctuality.
- Planning & Organization: Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources. Integrates changes smoothly. Sets goals and objectives. Works in an organized manner.
- Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Displays commitment to excellence. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Applies feedback to improve performance. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Use of Technology: Adapts to new technologies, demonstrates required skills, keeps technical skills up to date, troubleshoots technological problems, uses technology to increase productivity.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office and/or clinical environment. This role
routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and
fax machines. Work is typically indoors. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel: No travel is expected for this positon.
Other Duties: This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, standards or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.