Job Title: Medical Assistant
Req No.: 013
Location: Keller, TX
Description: Medical Assistants are responsible for assisting physicians with patient care, clerical, environmental and organizational tasks. When serving as a Scribe, the position performs all clerical and information technology functions for the physician(s) in a clinical setting.
Essential Functions: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Checking schedules and organizing patient flow.
- Accompanying patients to exam/procedure room.
- Assisting patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.
- Collecting patient history.
- Performing screenings per provider guidelines.
- Assisting physicians/nurses with various procedures; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families.
- Answering calls and providing pertinent information.
- Setting up instruments and equipment according to protocol.
- Cleaning exam/procedure rooms, instruments and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control.
- Restocking exam/procedure rooms.
- Sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisors quickly.
- Prescription refills.
- Utilizes and enters data in to EMR systems.
- Accompanies physician into the patient examination room in order to transcribe a history and physical exam, and document accurately physician’s encounter with the patient and others present.
- Lists all proper diagnoses and symptoms as well as follows up on instructions and prescriptions as dictated by the physician.
- Transcribes patient orders including laboratory tests, radiology tests, medications, etc.
- Documents any procedures performed by the physician.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection control policies and protocols.
- Attend required meetings and participates in training programs as required.
- Understand and adhere to HIPAA policies, procedures and regulations to ensure and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Licenses & Certification:
- Current Medical Assistant certification required.
- Maintain current BLS, CPR, First Aid or other certifications required of position.
- Experience will be based on clinic location. Internal Medicine/Family Practice, or other specialty experience, may be required depending upon clinic.
- Experience as a Scribe highly preferred.
- Must be familiar with medical terminology.
- Understanding of physical exam process and ability to record exam details.
- Legible handwriting and ability to accurately record information.
- Organizational skills with focus on tracking patient care and improving patient flow.
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems experience preferred.
- Microsoft Office suite